Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Week 3 at the MTC ( 9/28/2010)



Zach and Elder Egan (a friend from Brighton High School)

Fake Hugs!

Spirit Bomb!!

Zach and Elder Bybee

Zach and Elder Young

Letter from Week #3 at the MTC dated 9/28/2010:
I'd like to start off with a little story from this past week. So on Saturday, I believe, there was what was called a teacher tornado. It happens every friday and saturday night where teachers from other classes come in and give a short 15 minute lesson on whatever. So one of the teachers was sister Chenina, who is a native from Russia, she was baptized at age 16 and served a mission at temple square and in Washington. So we naturally asked her questions about Russia and serving a mission. The last question that was asked was, "What advice could you give us about the culture of Ukraine?" Since she has been in Ukraine several times. She answered that while she was serving at temple square she met many people from different nations, all with different backgrounds and cultures. And although many nations have different traditions and ways of looking at things, there is one common culture and way to treat people that all nations share and that is love. This is true. If we can't be genuine and show that we really care as missionaries, what makes us any different from door-to-door salesmen who are only interested in getting your money? That is another lesson that has somewhat been stressed here at the MTC. I still feel like they could talk about it alot more. The main points they dry to drill in our heads is the importance of being obedient and the importance of working hard, I have yet to hear a whole lot about the importance of being genuine loving people. Although I have heard a couple talks on the subject, so this notion is not totally forgotten. I have met many people from all over the world here at the MTC. I have met elders and sisters from Russia, Ukraine, Germany, New Zealand, France, Canada, Hong Kong, Korea, and Japan. And it amazes me how different we are, but how united and similar we are at the same time. We have gathered from all over the world to learn and study and do a very important work. Missionay work, helping others to understand and grow closer to Christ.

Anyways, tell Tyler that I wish him a happy birthday and that I'm sorry I couldn't say this to his face. But I'm sure he understands. As far as the language is coming we've just been focusing on grammar principles alot lately, which blows my mind. I barely understand English grammar, and Ukrainian grammar is way more complicated. There so much that I want to learn about this language and this country, but I can only take so much new vocab/grammar/phrases and other facts before I get headaches. At the end of every day I feel like my brain is totally fried.
I have another story before I sign off. There is one elder, Elder Vargin, who is from Russia, Moscow,  who asked us, Ukrainian district, and other elders in the zone to write there testimony in Ukrainian/Russian because his girlfriend is in Ukraine and her parents aren't members. So he wants them to better understand the importance of this work. It's funny because most Russians don't feel like they need to lean Ukrainian, but he has. When we asked him why replied in his deep Russian accent, " I lean Ukrainian because I love my woman." That's awesome. So I tried my best to write a sincere and honest testimony. It was pretty short but it was the best I could do. He was so stoked when I gave it to him. I could tell that this was very important to him and I was glad to help out. Tell the rest of the family that I love them and I hope to hear from them soon.

Love,
Elder McEntire



No comments:

Post a Comment